Hand washing is an easy, inexpensive, and effective way to prevent the spread of germs and keep people healthy. For kids, washing hands can be a fun and entertaining activity. It is simple enough for even very young children to understand. Hand washing gives children and adults a chance to take an active role in their own health. Once kids learn how to properly wash their hands, they can—and often do—show their parents and siblings and encourage them to wash hands, too.
Parents can help keep their families healthy by:
- Teaching them good handwashing technique
- Reminding their kids to wash their hands
- Washing their own hands with their kids
Hand washing education in the community:
- Reduces the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by 31%
- Reduces diarrheal illness in people with weakened immune
systems by 58%
- Reduces respiratory illnesses, like colds, in the general population
Hand washing is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick and
spreading illness to others.
- Reducing illness increases productivity due to:
- Less time spent at the doctor’s office
- More time spent at work or schoo